Towing A Trailer And Launching A Boat Easily And Safely
Here is a list of things that will make towing a trailer and launching a boat easier.
Most important, practice backing up in a parking lot before heading to the lake to begin launching a boat.
Before backing down the launch ramp
On the launch ramp
- transfer your gear from the vehicle into the boat
- remove tie downs, straps, motor braces and winch safety chain
- leave the winch hooked up
- re-install or close drain plugs in boat
- hook up fuel line to motor and pressurize fuel line
- if lights are not waterproof disconnect from vehicle to protect vehicle circuits
- raise the motor
- tie on docking lines to the bow and stern
- inspect launch ramp
- how steep
- how deep is the water
- is ramp algae covered?
Before hitting the road
- back down ramp slowly
- stop before vehicle enters water
- ideally winch can be operated while standing on ground (depends on how steep launch ramp is and how low your boat sits on the trailer)
- have assistant hold bow/stern docking lines to guide the boat
- park vehicle and trailer away from launch ramp after launching a boat
- drive vehicle and boat trailer off the ramp immediately after loading boat
- transfer gear to vehicle
- tie down boat
- open or remove boat drain plug
- support motor
- remove aquatic plants from the trailer and boat
Follow these tips and not only will you feel more comfortable launching a boat, but you will look like a pro too!
Return from Towing A Trailer And Launching To Boat Trailers
Return to My Inflatable Boat.com